Competency requirements for those carrying out inspection and testing of electrical equipment
Inspection and testing of electrical equipment must be carried out by a person who has acquired, through training, qualification or experience, the knowledge and skills to carry out the task (i.e. be a ‘competent person’). Inspection and testing of electrical equipment must be carried out by a competent person who has the relevant knowledge, skills and test instruments to carry out the relevant inspection and testing. The person carrying out any testing of electrical equipment should also be competent to interpret the test results of any equipment they use. For example, a person carrying out testing under AS/NZS 3760:2010 must be:
- a licensed or registered electrician (whichever applies), or
- in some jurisdictions, a licensed electrical inspector, or
- a person who has successfully completed a structured training course and been deemed competent in the use of a pass-fail type portable appliance tester and the visual inspection of electrical equipment.
The training should be designed to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that on completion successful participants:
- can use the relevant test equipment safely and effectively
- understand electrical risks and appreciate the role that inspection and testing plays in ensuring electrical safety
- understand AS/NZS 3760:2010 and AS/NZS 3012:2010 (if testing equipment for construction or demolition sites)
- understand the legal requirements relevant to the work.
Some kinds of electrical testing must only be carried out by a licensed electrician or electrical inspector under local electrical safety laws. For example, testing requiring the dismantling of electrical equipment should only be carried out by a licensed electrician.
Additional or different competencies may be required for more complex kinds of testing outside the scope of AS/NZS 3760:2010.
If in doubt, advice should be obtained from a person qualified and experienced in electrical equipment testing, for example an electrician, electrical contractor, electrical inspector, specialist testing provider or relevant regulator.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
At Tested and True …we come to your work place at a time convenient to you. We can do an assessment of your Electrical Hazards it can be conducted at the same time as we test and tag your Electrical Equipment. We provide a Full Report with recommedations to clear up current Hazards and how to prevent future risks. Call and ask for a quote. 040 7605568 Tested & True ~ test & tag Adelaide uses the very latest in Portable Appliance Testing…The STC ProLogger 2 it can perform RCD testing, Earth Leakage Detection and Run Testing all in one neat piece of equipment. On top this all our Technicians are Trained to National Standard UEENEEP008 in test & tag operations by Intertag in Sydney NSW, all our Equipment is in good repair and in Calibration. Most of all we pride ourselves on our Knowledge of OH&S legislation and the current Australiand Standard AS/NZS 3760:2010 ensuring that you get Quality Service at a competitive price. Call Now Mobile 040 7605568
Peter Hill Manager , Tested & True ~ test & tag Adelaide August 2012