The trend these days is to do it yourself, sure you can attend a TAFE course and learn how to use an Appliance Tester!… But are you sure and certain that you can test an appliance or power tool effectively or even repair one; that would pass retesting and be compliant. It is a question you must explore , I have been Testing & Tagging electrical equipment for nearly 30 years , this began in the RAN when all personal items had to be tested and tagged before coming on board. I have also seen other people testing their own gear and the results of that.
When a business does it own testing I have noted the following attitudes and factors around their testing & tagging routine … here are the top five..
- A tendency to be complacent.. eg I have to use it tomorrow and I have no time to fix it. I will just a beware of those exposed wires. ..or I don’t want upset my fellow coworker by failing his/her favorite appliance it seems to be ok, so I won’t fail it!
- Finding the time…eg “I don’t have time I’m flat doing my own job plus other company duties eg OH&S committee meetings, Quality Improvement team meetings etc… It tends to go down to the bottom of the list.”
- Not keeping up to date with current legislation and Australian Standards… eg “I did my test and tag training 6 years ago, yeah I know all about it, just plug in here press the button and all is sweet! I think you do your tools every 2-3 years just the same time I do the office equipment I reckon that must be right!” (wrong!!)
- Lack of electrical knowledge and construction of electrical appliances… this leads to making wrong decisions about the class of the equipment and how a piece of equipment operates and will impact the way its tested and may give a false pass or false fail. Either way not an effective way to test electrical equipment and possibly dangerous if the false pass item is returned to service.
- Its a chore or its not important…eg “No-one has looked at our test & Tag spreadsheet for the last 8 years, No-one has had an accident its all commonsense just do something as you use it.. Its a waste of time” ..etc.
We at Tested & True ... Are trained as Technicians we know the construction of electrical equipment, we understand the need for Electrical testing and are up to date with the latest Legislation and Australian Standards. On top of all this,we will repair plugs and leads and will even open up equipment to repair it on-site!..ensuring that your workplace is safe and that you stay compliant to Safe-Work_SA requirements.
Call and ask for a quote. 040 7605568 Tested & True ~ test & tag Adelaide uses the very latest in Portable Appliance Testing…The STC Pro-Logger 2 it can perform RCD testing, Earth Leakage Detection and Run Testing all in one neat piece of equipment. Ensuring that you get Quality Service at a competitive price. Call Now Mobile 040 7605568
Peter Hill Manager , Tested & True ~ test & tag Adelaide January 2013