Electrocution incidents can be fatal, since the year 2000 25-30 people die from Electrocution in Australia (http://www.erac.gov.au/ ) 90 percent of these deaths involve non Electrical workers! Many more are seriously injured while non-fatal shocks can result in serious and permanent burn injuries to skin, internal tissues and damage to the heart depending on the length and severity of the shock.
Electric shocks from faulty electrical equipment may also lead to related injuries, including falls from ladders, scaffolding or other elevated work platforms. Other injuries or illnesses may include muscle spasms, palpitations, nausea, vomiting, collapse and unconsciousness. Those working with electricity may not be the only ones at risk. Poor electrical installation and faulty electrical appliances can lead to electric shock to others at or near the workplace.
How can I avoid electrical hazards?
Dependant on the context and conditions, but may include for example:
- Ensure only appropriately licensed or registered electricians carry out electrical work
- Switch off electricity where possible before working on equipment
- Ensure electrical equipment is in good working order (testing and tagging)
- Use battery operated tools rather than mains power tools where possible
- Remove damaged, unsafe electrical equipment or cords from the workplace
- Ensure tag out and isolation procedures are in place and used
- Use residual current devices (or safety switches) with portable equipment (as per the WHS Regulations)
- Don’t overload power sockets. Use power boards not double adaptors
- Meet electrical safety standards
The best way is to meet electrical safety standards is to have your appliances tested and tagged…
At Tested and True …We test Safety Switches as well as other electrical testing services. We come to your work place at a time convenient to you. We can do an assessment of your Electrical Hazards it can be conducted at the same time as we test and tag your Electrical Equipment. We provide a Full Report with recommedations to clear up current Hazards and how to prevent future risks. Call and ask for a quote. 0407605568 Tested & True ~ test & tag Adelaide uses the very latest in Portable Appliance Testing…The STC ProLogger 2 it can perform RCD testing, Earth Leakage Detection and Run Testing all in one neat piece of equipment. On top this all our Technicians are Trained to National Standard UEENEEP008 in test & tag operations by Intertag in Sydney NSW, all our Equipment is in good repair and in Calibration. Most of all we pride ourselves on our Knowledge of OH&S legislation and the current Australiand Standard AS/NZS 3760:2010 ensuring that you get Quality Service at a competitive price. Call Now Mobile 040 7605568
Peter Hill Manager , Tested & True ~ test & tag Adelaide August 2015